The Institute of Pulmonary Medicine, Rabin Medical Center (Beilison Hospital) is headed by Prof. Mordechai R. Kramer who is considered to be one of the top specialists in this field in Israel. Prof. Kramer teaches at the Faculty of Medicine of Tel Aviv University and has completed a number of fellowships in the United States, specializing in pulmonary care and lung transplantation.
All aspects of lung diseases are diagnosed and treated at the Institute of Pulmonary Medicine, including asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary fibrosis, and lung cancer. The Institute’s outpatient clinics treat more than 10,000 patients yearly. The Institute’s research activity is coordinated by the Deputy Director, Dr. Shitrit, who is particularly active in researches relating to the treatment of tuberculosis.
Currently, all lung transplantations in Israel are done only at Rabin Medical Center. The Lung Transplantation Unit uses top-notch world technologies available in this field of medicine. So far, the unit has preformed more than 200 lung transplantations.
The Institute has the following specialty units, all directed by the Institute Director, Prof. Mordechai Kramer, working with a team of expert physicians:
Lung Transplantation Unit is a leader in the field of lung transplantations. An expert team uses the most advanced techniques and equipment to treat lung patients before and after the transplantation.
Bronchoscopy Unit performs invasive diagnostics and therapeutic bronchoscopies using optic devices and laser instruments. Intrabronchial stents are inserted to widen respiratory ways.
Day Care Service performs inhalations, intravenous infusion, pleural effusion drainage and biopsies of the pleura.
Pulmonary Functions Laboratory performs measurements of lung volume and function, oxygen and gas levels in blood, as well as cardiopulmonary exercise testing.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Unit performs intensive rehabilitation activities for patients suffering from sever lung disorders.
Sleep Disorder Laboratory performs sleep disorder diagnosis with the main focus on the Sleep Apnea Syndrome.
Pulmonary Hypertension Center is a specialized clinic for the treatment and diagnosis of various cases of pulmonary hypertension.
Institute of Pulmonary Medicine offers the following medical procedures:
- Treatment of bronchial asthma of varying severity (atypical, as well as infectious)
- Treatment of chronic bronchitis and the Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COLD)
- Treatment of chronic cough
- Treatment of hyperventilation syndrome, including cases when it's accompanied by bronchial asthma
- Treatment of chronic laryngitis
- Tracheal and large bronchi dyskinesia
- Treatment of interstitial lung diseases
- Treatment of pneumonia
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic and frequent respiratory infections
- Treatment of bronchopulmonary aspergillus infection and exogenous allergic alveolitis
- Diagnosis and treatment of the combination of bronchial asthma and the Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease with arterial hypertension